About the SVSU Writing Center
The Writing Center has been a part of the SVSU campus for 16 years. During this time, we have worked to support student writers, developing their writing and critical thinking abilities. Our staff of 20-25 tutors represent every college on campus, and they have been trained to give feedback to student writers at all levels, from freshmen to graduate students, and in all disciplines.
Here are some highlights from Academic Year 2014-15:
- 4,252 individual tutorial sessions were conducted at the Writing Center in the fall and winter semesters
- 43% of the students who used the Writing Center were freshmen; the other 57% were upperclassmen and graduate students
- 53% of the students who use the Writing Center have a G.P.A. between 3.3 and 4.0
- 98% of students ranked our services as "excellent" or "good"
- 90% of students felt "very confident" or "confident" about their ability to complete their writing assignment after their tutorial session
The Writing Center serves Saginaw Valley State University by raising the level of excellence in student writing, at all levels and in all disciplines. To achieve this goal, the Writing Center provides one-on-one tutorial sessions, workshops, and various resources for students to develop their skills as writers and critical thinkers within the academic community and the community at large.
- Writing as a powerful form of communication, used to understand ourselves and the world around us.
- Writing, a skill that everyone can learn, as a process requiring practice and commitment.
- Each writer and the intrinsic worth of each writer’s ideas.
- Conversations between writers and peer tutors focused on improving the writer, not simply the writing.
- A welcoming and inclusive environment for all writers.
- Learning from and contributing to our campus community and our community at large.
Our Writing Center will be a dynamic place of growth for all writers. To achieve this, we will develop innovative programs to serve all students, engage in our campus and community, and support a dedicated tutoring staff that is trained in and contributes to best practices in writing center research.
We will be known for:
- Our innovative programs designed to develop students’ writing skills.
- Our collaboration with other campus departments and programs to support student writing.
- Our highly trained and dedicated tutoring staff.
- Our commitment to community engagement.
- Our interest in learning from and contributing to research in our field.