Frequently Asked Questions


Parking Services Questions


University Police Questions


Do I need a parking permit to park on campus?

Visitors, students, and guest are allowed to park in designated free parking lots without a permit between 6 a.m. and 2 a.m. Resident students and overnight visitors (between 2 a.m.-6 a.m.) are required to obtain a parking permit from Parking Services. Click here for a color coded campus map

What is the process to obtain a resident parking permit?

Residents are allowed to obtain one permit per academic year if they will have a vehicle on campus at no charge.  Residents may apply on line at

There is a $50.00 replacement fee if the permit is not returned to University Police if the permit is not returned (even if in 100 pieces) if a resident were to change vehicles permanently.  This policy does not apply if a resident has a temporary vehicle on campus for up to two weeks at a time. Residents should visit University Police to obtain a temporary permit.

What are the department’s hours?

University Police is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with the exception of Thanksgiving and winter break during these closures University Police officers are still patrolling.

Where is the department located?

University Police is located on the corner of South Entrance Drive and Pierce Road in the South Campus Complex A building.

What are the parking rules for visitors?

Visitors are able to park in any designated visitor or free parking lot without a permit between the hours of 6 a.m. and 2 a.m. Any vehicle on-campus after 2 a.m. must have a valid permit. Visitors can obtain an overnight parking permit from Parking Services. Visitors must provide a valid vehicle registration and driver’s license. The cost for a permit is $5.

Visitors of resident students are allowed one overnight parking permit valid for 2 nights every 14 days. First year residents are only allowed overnight visitors Thursday through Saturday nights.

I am a resident student and I have a temporary vehicle on-campus, do I need a parking permit?

Yes, you will need to obtain a resident temporary parking permit from Parking Services. The permit is $5 and is valid for up to two weeks. Residents must provide a valid vehicle registration and driver’s license.

How do I appeal a parking citation?

Click the following link for parking citation appeal instructions

Where can I pay a parking citation?

Citations can be paid at University Police, Campus Financial Services Center or online at University Police will accept cash, check, or money order.

How do I report an emergency or a crime?

In the event of an emergency or to report a crime on the main SVSU campus, members of the campus community should call University Police at 989-964-4141 or 911 when using a cellular phone. If using a campus telephone please dial 4141 or 9-911. Individuals also may report incidents in person at the department’s headquarters in South Campus Complex A.

Am I allowed to have a firearm on campus for hunting or protection purposes? Will the University Police store a firearm for me?

Individuals are not allowed to have a firearm on campus including in their University housing for any purpose. University Police offers safekeeping of firearms and bows for hunting purposes to resident students.

What is the Campus Alert System?

“Campus Alert” is an emergency notification system which provides University administrators the ability to send text and voice messages to cellular phones, campus phones (including classroom phones), home phones and e-mail accounts. SVSU faculty, adjunct faculty, staff, and students can sign-up for the “Campus Alert” system at

How do I register my valuables with University Police?

Individuals can register their valuables using the department’s Operation ID system. Operation ID is available online at Individuals will be mailed identification stickers for each item.

Where can I find campus crime statistics?

Campus crime statistics are available in the annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report located on the department’s home page. A daily crime log is also available here

What do I do if I lock my keys in my car or my car won't start?

Parking Services offers a Motorist Assist Program. If you accidentally lock your keys in your vehicle, your vehicle has a dead battery, or you need jumper cables, you can request assistance by contacting Parking Services at 989-964-4141. Parking Services offers this service free of charge.

What do I do if I have lost or found an item?

Individuals missing an item should check University Police to see if their property was turned in. Found property is turned in daily. A report can also be filed with University Police if an item was lost. University Police’s found property log is available here

How can I obtain a copy of a police report?

To obtain a police report individuals should submit a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request form. Request forms are available here and can be submitted through mail, fax, or in-person. A charge applies. Vehicle accident reports may be available online at

Does the department teach any self-defense classes?

The University Police offers a self-defense program, “RAD” (Rape Aggression Defense), to all female members of the SVSU community. The RAD program teaches basic self-defense skills and assists women in gaining confidence in their own abilities, as well as making them more aware of their surroundings. RAD is offered as a one-credit class during the fall and winter semesters and abbreviated courses are offered to groups on and off campus throughout the year.  Topics include awareness of rape, acquaintance rape and other sex offenses. The following University Police staff can provide additional information: Sergeant Marc Strain (989-964-4157) and Officer Ryan Stockford (989-964-4133).

Will a police officer speak with my class or organization about campus safety?

Yes, police officers will speak with classes or organizations. Community members can schedule a presentation by contacting University Police.

Is SVSU a safe campus?

Yes, SVSU is a safe campus. Nevertheless community members are always encouraged to be responsible for their safety and the security of their property by locking doors, securing valuables and being aware of their surroundings.

How does the escort system work?

University Police will provide an escort to an individual who feels uncomfortable walking alone to their vehicle or resident hall. Individuals can request an escort by calling University Police. A service officer or police officer will escort an individual as soon as they are available.

What is the jurisdiction of the University Police?

SVSU police officers are sworn peace officers in the State of Michigan and are responsible for enforcing state and local laws, and University regulations on campus and roadways adjacent to the University. All of the sworn officers are certified by the Commission on Law Enforcement Standards and have full arrest powers.

How can I become a student employee with the University Police?

Student employee positions are posted on the Cardinal Career Network various times throughout the year. University Police not only employs criminal justice majors but students from various majors.