Why a High School Writing Center?
A writing center is dedicated to developing the writer, not just improving the document. High school writing centers focus on improving the writer's understanding of his/her writing process and better prepare the student for the challenges of future writing. If you want help with any area of your writing, bring your questions or current draft into your high school writing center.
Tutors have been trained in peer tutoring methods, and are there to assist you in improving and developing your writing skills.
Tutors can help you:
- Brainstorm ideas
- Understand assignments and plan responses
- Learn effective organizational techniques
- Learn to use APA and MLA formats
- Improve your writing and language skills
- Identify grammar errors and learn strategies for correcting them
- Expand your approaches to creative writing projects
- Grow as a writer and critical thinker
Writing centers are not:
- The fix-it shop for all your grammar errors
- A guarantee that your grade on this paper will improve
- A proofreading or editing service
Planning a Writing Center
National Writing Project Writing Center Resources
Michigan High School Writing Centers
Bay City Central High School Training Guide (208kB)
Mattawan High School