Graduation requirements for baccalaureate degrees are based on the regulations and requirements printed in the catalog in effect at the time of a student’s initial registration at Saginaw Valley State University. A catalog published after initial registration may be chosen by the student when it is to his or her advantage, but the entire set of graduation requirements listed in any one catalog must be used. The time limitation on this provision is that no student may graduate under the requirement of a catalog published more than six calendar years prior to the date of graduation. Readmitted students are subject to all regulations and requirements of the catalog current at the time of re-enrollment.
Summary of Baccalaureate Degree Requirements
- Satisfy University Basic Skills requirements in reading, writing and mathematics.
- Satisfy University General Education requirements.
- Satisfy departmental requirements for a major and a minor or an interdisciplinary major (no minor required) or two majors.
- Complete at least 6 upper division (300-400 level) credits in the major from SVSU; complete at least 3 credits at the 200 level or higher in the minor from SVSU.
- Complete 42 credits of course work at the upper division (300-400) level.
- Complete a minimum of 124 credit hours (at least 31 credits must be taken at SVSU).
- Earn a 2.00 cumulative GPA with a grade of “C” or better in all Basic Skills, major and minor courses.
Credit Hours Needed
Saginaw Valley State University operates on a trimester system of three 15-week semesters: fall, winter and summer (divided into a seven-week spring session and a seven-week summer session). Each degree requires the fulfillment of the academic residency requirement (see below) and the completion of a minimum of 124 credits of academic work and must include 42 credits of upper division work (300 and 400 level courses).
Students pursuing a second SVSU undergraduate degree must complete a minimum of 31 additional credits beyond the first degree and also fulfill all requirements listed for a different major than from the first degree.
Academic Residency Requirement for All Bachelor’s Degree Programs
All candidates for baccalaureate degrees are required to take at least 31 credits from Saginaw Valley State University and the last semester must be SVSU earned credits (taken online, hybrid or face-to-face).
At least six upper division credits in the major field and at least three credits at the Sophomore or higher level in the minor field must be completed at SVSU.
Grade Point Requirement
Each candidate for a degree must have a grade point average of not less than 2.00 (“C” average).