Student Learning Goals
The goal of the Saginaw Valley State University Department of Theatre is to educate theatre students in the following areas:
I. Problem solving and critical thinking abilities
- The theatre student will demonstrate problem-solving and critical thinking skills by writing and analyzing dramatic literature.
II. Theatre Competencies
- Theatre students will demonstrate competence in developing, producing, and conceptualizing design elements, directing, and analyzing and critiquing all aspects of theatrical production.
III. Theatre research and expertise.
- The theatre student will demonstrate proficiency in researching and evaluating cultural and historical information which supports artistic choice and be able to articulate the role of the theatre in both historical and contemporary terms.
IV. Theatre performance expertise.
- The theatre student will demonstrate the ability to develop, communicate, and sustain characters.
Professional Organizations/Standards that informed development of learning outcomes:
- KCACTF -Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival
- AATE - American Alliance for Theatre and Education
- ATHE - Association for Theatre in Higher Education
- USITT – United States Institute of Theatre Technology
- IATSE – International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees
- AEA – Actors Equity Association
- SAG/AFTRA – Screen Actors Guild
- American Federation of Television and Recording Artists
- MI Standards in the Arts (K-12)