The Short-term Programs at Saginaw Valley State University are dedicated to providing students with high quality experiences that help develop the knowledge and skills they need to become productive and successful members of a global community. Our short-term programs always include opportunities for students to engage in American culture and conversation. The programs can frequently be customized to fit the unique goals of the students and their sending organization. The unique combination of classroom experience and cultural exploration ensures the students a deeper understanding of another culture and enables them to gain new, global perspectives.
- Customized programs to meet the needs of students
- Many authentic opportunities to interact with Americans and their culture
- A variety of cultural and natural activities unique to Michigan and the Midwest region of USA
- Award-winning housing and access to university resources and state-of-the-art recreational facilities.
- Personal attention and interaction with the staff and students of Saginaw Valley State University; this includes pick up and drop off at local airport as well as a weekly shopping trip to local market.
Culture Immersion Activity Options
- Mackinac Island
- A day trip to Mackinac Island, one of Michigan’s most famous (and popular!) tourist spots.
- The participants will be able to enjoy the world-renowned scenery as they rent bicycles and tour the island.
- A tour of a historical fort on Mackinac Island is included and the boat ride to and from the island, which allows the students to experience a ride on Michigan’s Great Lakes.
- Cedar Point Trip
- The students will also go on a one or two day(s) trip to the world famous amusement park, Cedar Point, to experience some of the best roller coasters in the world.
- Chicago Trip
- On this three days trip, students will be within easy distance of great shopping, great restaurants, art museums, science museums, and one of the best aquariums in Chicago.
- Chicago trip includes a trip to the skyscraper top so the students can view the city and lakeshore; a deep-dish pizza dinner (a very famous kind of pizza in America); and a trip to a local dessert place called “The cheesecake Factory” where they will be able to enjoy delicious slices of cheesecake.
- Birch Run, MI
- A Shopping trip where one of the biggest outlet malls in the Midwest region of America is located.
- Frankenmuth, MI
- One of the most popular tourist places in Michigan. It is modeled after a German town and has the biggest Christmas store in the world! It is also a great place to buy souvenirs.
- Sleeping Bear Dunes
- The students will also get to go to one of the most beautiful shorelines in the United States.
- The students will be able to experience the beauty and grandeur of the Great Lakes.
- Great Lakes Crossing
- The students will also be allowed the opportunity to visit a “high-end” mall near Detroit, MI.
Globalization Seminar Flyer (1,684kB)
Globalization Seminar Application (4,049kB)
Short Term Programs Brochure (1,517kB)
Dates: Every year in summer
(Early-June through Mid-August)
Duration: 2 weeks
- English Language Program
- Business College
- More options available – Please ask!
Application Deadline: May 8th, 2014
- Copy of passport
- Proof of travel insurance
Base Program FEE:
(More than 10 Students)
$2000.00 U.S. /per person*
*Fee subject to change depending
on the options selected
Special Project Manager
Office of International Programs
Saginaw Valley State University
Office: Wickes 250