Student Learning Goals
In the Department of Music at SVSU, we pride ourselves on being reflective on our teaching practices to ensure the highest level of graduates possible. The information below provides an overview of the goals we consider essential for both of our degree programs.
**What should students know and/or be able to do at the end of their program?**
- Students will develop the skills and knowledge to function effectively in musical environments.
These skills include the following (taken from the National Standards for Music Education):
- Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
- Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
- Improvising melodies, variations, and accompaniments.
- Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines.
- Reading and notating music.
- Listening to, analyzing, and describing music.
- Evaluating music and music performances.
- Understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts.
- Understanding music in relation to history and culture.
While these guidelines were developed for K-12 music, they are equally appropriate for an undergraduate Music program, with greater emphasis on the understanding of theoretical, historical, and stylistic aspects of music.
- Students will be prepared to enter graduate degree programs in various fields of musical study, including musicology, music theory, and performance.
Music Education Majors:
- Students will develop in students the skills and knowledge to function in musical environments. See the list above.
- Students will be prepared to enter graduate degree programs in various fields of musical study, including musicology, music theory, performance, and music education.
- Students will be prepared to function effectively as music educators in grades K-12. This includes, but is not limited to, the ability to teach to all the national standards for K-12 music education.
Accrediting/Certifying Body: National Association of Schools of Music (NASM)
Professional Organizations/Standards that informed development of learning outcomes: Michigan Department of Education (Certification Standards for Music Education)