The following instructions will erase the contents you may already have stored on your device, under Calendar & Contacts. At this point in time, there is no guaranteed method of merging the contents on your device with Zimbra (VMail) accounts.
If you have critical entries in your Calendar or Contacts on your device, which you need to save (BEFORE SYNCHRONIZATION), please contact the ITS Support Center first to determine if transfer is possible. ITS has not found a method that has provided 100% data transfer, other than manual entry into Zimbra.
NOTICE: If you used software (GWMobiile, Intellisync) to synchronize your device in the past, you should uninstall it first.
Users have two options to access their email, calendar, and contacts on their Internet enabled device OTA (over the air):
1) Zimbra Mobile Access, 2) ActiveSync
This method uses the Internet Explorer (IE) browser to access your account online. It provides direct access to your account data, and is not a method where you actually synchronize the data to your device (for off-line viewing). Basically, how you access your account via a computer web browser is the same method here - only that the version is made for a micro-browser.
Launch IE and enter (bookmark) this address: vmail.svsu.edu
Microsoft Exchange (via ActiveSync) is a popular default solution for many handheld devices. It allows you to configure the device to manage all contacts, calendars and e-mail, or to choose which individual service you want stored on your device.
1. Navigate through your programs to the
ActiveSync icon (circular arrows on a green button).
Open ActiveSync to begin setup.
2. Next, select Menu, then choose Add Server
Source (or Configure Server)
3. Depending upon previous configurations, you might be prompted to have it "Attempt to detect Exchange Server Settings Automatically" - uncheck that box and simply enter your full email address as prompted. Otherwise, you will see the view below to enter the Server Address.
Set the Server address:vmail.svsu.edu
Check the box for SSL, select Next
4. Enter your SVSU username
Enter your password
Domain is: vmail.svsu.edu
Optional: check box to Save password
5. Choose which data you want to synchronize to your mobile device. Select Finish after making your selections.
6. After selecting Finish, it will attempt to make a connection to the server and then perform its synchronization (reporting the results).