Email Problem FAQS
What we are Currently Doing (as of 1 PM Monday, Nov. 30th):
For those affected, by the email problem:
- We are restoring email boxes from a Saturday Night (10/31 - disaster recovery) backup.
- Recovery Plan & Progress:
- As of 1:35 PM on Thursday, Nov 4th, staff and faculty accounts are recovered. (we had to start somewhere, and chose a smaller group of 281)
- As of 2:33 PM on Thursday, Nov 4th, adjunct accounts are recovered.
- As of 10:30 AM on Friday, Nov 5th, the 3,627 student accounts have been recovered
- As of 11:40 AM on Friday, Nov 5th, the 96 generic business accounts have been recovered.
- As of midnight on Sunday, Nov 7th, we have recovered accounts for Alumni, Retirees, and other Accounts
- As of midnight on Monday, Nov 8th all accounts have been recovered.
- Recovering emails delivered Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday (10/31 thru 11/2) for generic accounts, completed as of 5 PM on Friday, Nov 12th.
- We will then recover emails delivered Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday (10/31 thru 11/2) for staff and permanent faculty accounts , completed as of Noon on Tuesday, Nov 16
- We will then recover emails delivered Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday (10/31 thru 11/2) for adjunct faculty accounts, completed as of 2 PM on Wednesday, Nov 17
- We will then recover emails delivered Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday (10/31 thru 11/2) for registered student accounts - ON Hold until after Tuesday, Dec 7th, while we upgrade the SAN.
- We will then recover emails delivered Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday (10/31 thru 11/2) for Alumni, Retirees, and "other"accounts
Note that "email" is used generically in this section and includes meetings, etc. etc.
- Your email from Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday will be delivered quickly. The time and date on the index page will show today's time & date, but when you open the emails you will see the true time & date it was sent.
- Your email that arrived on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday will take us a few days to recover. Our focus is on getting you operational as quckly as possible.
- Please note, due to your web browser's caching you may get a "can not connect" error, at that point either key a "CTL+F5" (both keys are the same time) or go to the URL and type in: https://vmail.svsu.edu
- If you access Vmail thru your notepad, iPad, or smart phone, you will need to change your settings to reference vmailbox4. This is a permanent change.
- If you experience problems, please contact the Support Center. For details: Click Here.
Why Is only 1/3 of the Campus Affected?
- We have Vmail spread across 3 servers to ensure optimal response time.
- On Monday night (11/1) a controller disk drive failed in our SAN (Storage Area Network =a large fully redundant, auto-failover mass storage unit
- When the various servers, including the 3 Vmail servers attempted to automatically switch to the backup control unit, Vmail server #1 failed to make a smooth transition and scrambled the email database index tables for that server.
- We are, in parallel, running diagnostics to determine why this failed.
- The database problem remained hidden until Tuesday night (11/2) when we were doing a backup.
- We spent Wednesday in close contact with the vendor. The database recovery steps worked, but were exceedingly slow. The time to recover is what forced us into restoring from a Saturday night (10/30) backup and then recovering email that arrived on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday (10/31 thru 11/2).