New projects submitted to SVSU’s IRB go through the following steps:
- The IRB Manager reviews each package for completeness.
- Incomplete packages are unlocked to allow the investigator(s) to make corrections.
- Complete packages are forwarded to the IRB Chair for initial review.
- The Chair decides what level of review – exempt, expedited or full board - the project will receive. (See Levels of IRB Review for more information.)
- IRB reviewers are assigned to projects. Researchers receive an Acknowledgement letter indicating the type of review their project will receive and the name(s) of the reviewer(s).
- Exempt Reviews are usually conducted by the IRB Chair.
- Expedited Reviews are assigned to one IRB member and are conducted within 10 business days.
- Full Board Reviews are reviewed by a quorum of the IRB on the 3rd Friday of the month to which the project is assigned. A primary and a secondary reviewer are assigned to each project undergoing full board review to guide the discussion during the meeting.
- Projects requiring Full Board Review must be submitted by 1 PM on the first Friday of the month to be placed on that month’s agenda.
After a new project is submitted and reviewed, it may need to be modified before approval. Modified documents must be submitted in a subsequent package (packages cannot be unlocked once they have undergone review). See Modify/Amend IRB Application for more information.