Healthy U promotes an active lifestyle through various events and programs offered to faculty, staff, and students. SVSU is honored to be recognized by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), the Exercise Is Medicine On Campus (EIM) Initiative, and the American Heart Association as a campus that promotes healthy lifestyles and physical activity as a means of disease prevention.
• Lower the risk of recurrent breast cancer and colon cancer by 50% to 60%
• Reduce the risk of developing Alzheimer's disease by approximately 40%
• Reduce the incidence of stroke, heart disease, and high blood pressure by 30% to 40%
• Lower the risk of developing type II diabetes by 58% and be twice as effective for treatment than standard insulin.
EIM was launched by ACSM and the American Medical Association (AMA), and recently endorsed by the Surgeon General. EIM is designed to make physical activity and exercise a standard part of disease prevention.
As an EIM Campus we:
• Recognize that exercise and physical activity are important to health and treatment of diseases;
• Encourage campus to establish lifelong exercise and physical activity habits that can significantly improve quality of life;
• Support ACSM's efforts to bring a greater focus on exercise.
In March 2012 Saginaw Valley State University was recognized as a Gold Level Recipient of the American Heart Association’s Fit-Friendly Worksites Recognition program.
The Fit-Friendly Worksites program is a catalyst for positive change. Worksites throughout the nation can be part of the initiative by making the health and wellness of their employees a priority. The Healthy U program was recognized as a Gold Level Fit-Friendly Worksite by the American Heart Association’s My Heart. My Life. initiative for:
• Offering employees physical activity support.
• Providing/increasing healthy eating options at the worksite.
• Promoting a wellness culture.
• Implementing at least nine criteria as outlined by the American Heart Association in the areas of physical activity, nutrition and culture.