Online Job Posting Process
The Student Employment Program Job Posting Process requires that all on-campus student employment job openings will be posted on the online job database, Cardinal Career Network, www.svsu.edu/careers . The Job Posting Process is in place to ensure that students are made aware of and are provided equal opportunity to apply for on-campus employment.
Hiring Checklist for New Student Employees
Posting Process (Notifying Career Services of your vacancy)
How to post a job vacancy:
- Email requests to the Student Employment Coordinator email@example.com. Your email needs to include the following items:
- Job title of the open position. If the position is new, please include a job description. See samples.
- Rate of pay
- Number of students to be hired
- Funding category (CWS, SVWS, RSE)
- Deadline date (New positions must be available for 5 days, reposted positions: 3 days
- Screening criteria allowed:
- Class standing
- GPA (SVSU Only)
- Work study and award amount
- The Career Services office will post the opening on the Cardinal Career Network for the length of time indicated.
- Once the deadline for the position has ended, an email with all of the applicant résumés will be sent to the supervisor in a PDF file.
Screening of Application Materials/Interviewing Process
- Review résumés/cover letters sent via email or log-in to the Cardinal Career Network to review applicants, www.svsu.edu/careers
- Interview candidates
- Student applicants have the ability to apply to more than one job, so we encourage you to interview your students quickly in order for you to hire the best candidate because you will be competing with other departments. It is the responsibility of the supervisors to contact potential student employees who applied for the posting and make hiring decisions.
Some tips to ensure a fair interview process:
- Ask only job-related questions and be consistent with each interview
- Compile a list of prepared questions based on the competencies required for the position. Ask these same questions to all applicants. Applicants must be treated consistently.
What NOT to ask applicants:
Questions not to ask (1kB)
-Sample phone interview questions: http://www.svsu.edu/hr/forms/recruitment.html
-Sample interviewing questions: http://www.svsu.edu/careers/resume-tips-more/interviewing/sample-questions.html
-If the position requires CWS, SVWS, RSE funding, make sure you verify during the interview that the student has not declined their award since applying.
Offer/Completion of Hiring Process
- Once hiring decisions have been made, supervisors need to make a verbal and/or email offer to the selected candidate. - Note: If CWS, SVWS, RSE funding is needed for the position, please verify the student still has their work study award before hiring them.
- Supervisors must report the hire to the Student Employment Coordinator through the following link: http://apps.svsu.edu/forms/SE_NewHireRequestForm.php
- The Career Services office will send a Job Approval form. Supervisors need to verify and approve each student by signing the form and filling in the date and department account number where requested. Return the yellow copy to the Career Services office, the white copy is given to the student and the pink copy is for the supervisor.
- All new students MUST fill out the appropriate payroll paperwork in the Career Services office. The paperwork includes federally required I9 and W-4 forms and FERPA guidelines. Students must bring proof of identification with them. New students who have not completed the paperwork or shown appropriate identification are NOT to begin working and will not be entered into payroll until all documents are received.
- Supervisors will receive a notification slip from the Career Services office to indicate that the student has been entered into payroll The notification slip will include the student name, student ID number, department account number, object code for job classification (CWS, SVWS, RSE), wage level, and semester dates.
- Supervisors must contact Payroll to add the student to their Ultra Time list.
- Supervisors have the ability to send out an email message to those students who applied and were not interviewed for the position, or the Career Services office will send it out for you.
Hiring Process for Returning Students
- It is up to individual departments to determine whether or not returning students need to reapply for positions on an annual basis. However, all students need to apply if the position is in a completely different department.
- Supervisors must email the Student Employment Coordinator the name and student ID number of the student that is returning.
- The Career Services office will send a Job Approval form. Supervisors need to "approve" each student, enter their signature, date and department account number at the bottom of the Approval form. Return the yellow copy to the Career Services office. The white copy is given to the student and the pink copy is for the supervisor.
- Supervisors will receive a notification slip from the Career Services office to indicate that the student has been entered into payroll. The notification slip will include the student name, student ID number, department account number, object code for job classification (CWS/SVWS/RSE), wage level, and semester dates.